Wednesday, March 16, 2005

DS Download Service

Recently started here in Japan is this service allowing DS owners to get new data for their games or trial versions of upcoming titles, simply by standing in the right area of a shop!

Link to Japanese site

I recently went to Sofmap at Kyoto Station, and was able to download six new songs for Band Brothers (Jam With The Band), which included the theme tune from the recently released Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (Yoshi Touch & Go). Even better was the trial version of Meteos, a puzzle game from the creator of Lumines on the PSP. It was fun, although I wasn't 100% sure what I was supposed to be doing. But I'm definitely more interested in buying it now that I've had a go. There was also a trial version of Intuitive Stroke (Polarion), but I already own the game.

As you would expect, the trial versions only run until you turn off the system power, but with the hardware sleep function I could load the demo and close the system, put it in my bag and play it when I got home.

There doesn't seem to be a similar service for the PSP, although it's certainly perfectly feasible as both systems use the same wireless protocol. I hope to see more DS content available soon.

3 Comments:

At 9:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do the downloaded songs for Band Brothers also disappear when the DS is turned off?

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger CTU Kyoto said...

No, they stay put! There's a special section where you store songs traded from friends, and they appear at the bottom of the song list when you choose one to play in the game.

 
At 5:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Expect the same thing at the Nintendo store opening in New York...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home